Kelburn Out of School Care
It is the Vision of the Kelburn Out of School Care to meet the needs of Kelburn School community and wider Kelburn community by providing a secure, stimulating, consistent, professional and caring environment for primary-age children.
Kelburn Kids currently operates from the Kelburn Normal School hall. It is governed by the Kelburn Out of School Care Trust who employs the Manager and staff to provide a safe, stimulating and caring environment for the children from Year 1 through to Year 8.
Whilst our programme is not formally structured we do try to include one planned activity each session. Art/craft materials, board games for different ages, and sports equipment are all available and actively encouraged. The children have use of the top school playground, including the gully. All activities are supervised, whether indoor or outdoor, and a space is available for those children wishing to do homework or simply requiring quiet time.
Our current staffing ratio is a minimum of 1:10 in the centre and 1:8 on outings. Staff are police vetted, fully trained and wear identifiable clothing. At least one staff per session will be first aid certified.
The volunteers on the board of the Trust are full-time workers or mature-age students with children at the centre. It is essential that all user parents of KOSCT play their part in ensuring support for the group as a whole. The following gives information about the operation of the centre.
• Initial enrolment enquiries should be made through the Manager
• You are welcome to visit Out of School Care at any time with your child/ren
• Enrolment documentation must be completed for each child, including Casuals.
Children may come to Kelburn Kids on a regular or casual basis, subject to availability.
1. Regulars: A regular is considered a child who is enrolled consistently for at least one day every two weeks. Regular attendees designate the days/times they will be attending and staff must be notified if absent. Two weeks written notice must be given for cancellation of enrolment.
Fees for regular attendance: Fees must be paid fortnightly in advance by direct credit. Fees are charged regardless of whether the child attends. All public holidays that fall within school terms are charged at normal rate. All prices include GST.
- 1 child – collection before 4.30pm $13 per day; collection after 4.30pm and before 6pm $19 per day.
- 2 or more children in family – collection prior to 4.30pm $12 per child per day; collection after 4.30pm and before 6pm $18 per child per day
2. Casuals: Casuals are children who do not hold pre-paid sessions and attend rarely. Attendance of casuals should be requested 24 hours in advance where possible, and payment must be made when booking. No refund is available in the event of cancellation.
Fees for casual attendance
Where possible casual bookings should be made 24 hours in advance with the Manager.
Collection prior to 4.30pm $15 per day; collection after 4.30pm and before 6pm $21 per day. Fees must be paid prior to attendance.
Late collection policy
Children must be collected before 4.30pm (early session) or 6pm (late session). Late collection fees apply. For children enrolled in early session, the full day will be charged if collected after 4.30pm. For children enrolled in late session, a late fee of $20 will be charged for every 15 minutes or part thereof, that your child remains after 6pm.
Kelburn Kids is Child Youth and Family Approved. If you are in training, at University or earn within the predetermined income thresholds, you may be eligible for the OSCAR subsidy. It is paid to the Out of School Care and reduces the fees you pay for your child. Please ask the Manager and contact WINZ, (Work and Income New Zealand), for more information.
Safety of your children is our number one priority but it is your responsibility to notify us in advance of any absence. The roll is checked twice per day at 3pm upon the children’s arrival and again at 4.30pm. In the event that children do not arrive at the centre as expected, the Manager will follow up with parents/caregivers to ascertain the child’s whereabouts. Non-attendance will be charged at the normal daily rate. Please leave a message no later than 2pm on 022 358 8613 if your child will be absent.
Parents should note that Kelburn Kids cannot take any responsibility for the non-arrival of casual attendees if their attendance has not been confirmed in conversation, text or email with the Manager.
We provide a healthy and varied afternoon tea daily. Your child is welcome to bring their own food if they have particular needs or specific likes.
Policies & Procedures
Kelburn Out of School Care Trust regularly reviews its policies. Copies are available for all parents to read and outline full policies of the centre. Please contact the Manager.
- A staff member must be informed when you collect your child.
- You must sign your child out.
- If your child is absent for any reason please let KOSCT know by 2pm by phone.
- Only people named on your booking form are allowed to collect your children. Please ensure contact and emergency details are up to date.
- Please ensure your fees are paid in advance.
- Ensure your child/ren know where they are to be each day after school
- Attend any meetings arranged by the committee if possible
- Check the notice board regularly. Information/requests will be posted there.
- For Casuals or extra sessions, requests must be made to the manager at least one day before attendance, and paid in advance.
Out of school Care responsibilities
- Juniors will be collected from Junior school at 3pm each day by a staff member
- Kelburn Out of School Care will ascertain the whereabouts of all children whose attendance is expected (unless notified).
- No children are permitted to leave the school grounds unless previously arranged and under the care of parents/caregivers noted on booking form.
- Arrangements for children to attend other after school activities will be assisted where possible eg. Kelly Sport.
- Your child’s enrolment file will be available for you to access at any time.
School Holiday Programme
The Trust also runs a Holiday Programme during the major holiday breaks. For more information, please contact the Manager.
Manager: Kim Mudgway
Telephone: Mobile: 022 358 8613.