The purpose of the Student Council is to promote the Key Competencies and the Values across the school by encouraging children to take leadership and responsibility, and make good decisions. This is part of the school wide development of nurturing student voice and agency. For the NZ Curriculum Principle of future focus the council will be leading environmental awareness and interdependency.
Selection of class councillors
- The Junior Syndicate select two new councillors every term
- The Lower Middle and Upper Middle Syndicate select two councillors every two terms
- The Senior Syndicate select two councillors for the year
- The process of selection for the younger students may be a lucky draw, whereas for the older students may need to make a presentation about why they are suitable.
- A key responsibility of councillors is to lead class discussions (class meetings) about class and playground culture and to help problem solve when issues and questions arise. They note down any concerns, ideas, or initiatives and bring them to the council meetings. This is also part of our health and safety procedure.
- Involve their classes in whole school activities and initiatives that the council plans.
The student council will discuss and come up with these.