top of page

Kelburn Normal School's curriculum is based on the New Zealand National Curriculum sourced from the Ministry of Education. All staff involved in curriculum delivery (educational programmes), are appropriately trained professional teachers registered with the New Zealand Education Council.

New Zealand education

Here is a short clip of some stories about how New Zealand has given children a high quality education and the experience to help them grow. New Zealand teachers are among the most professional in the world and your child's safety is assured by the government. Hear from real parents who have experienced a New Zealand education.

Here is a story from a Chinese parent about attending a school in NZ similar to Kelburn.


Education Code of Practice

We work hard to ensure that our international students are well informed, safe and properly cared for. Our school has a dedicated International Student Coordinator who supports our international students and their families. In their first week at school students are assisted by our International Coordinator and a student buddy to settle into our learning environment. 

The New Zealand government has developed the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the Code) to ensure international students are treated fairly, at all ages and at all levels of education. This document is administered by the New Zealand Qualifications Authority (NZQA). All education providers enrolling international students are required to be signatories to the Code. Copies can be found here in a variety of languages.

Kelburn Normal School is proud to be a signatory to the Education (Pastoral Care of International Students) Code of Practice 2016 (the Code) and we take our obligations seriously. 


Kelburn Normal School does not offer homestay accommodation. Students under the age of 10 must live with a parent or legal guardian. Students over the age of 10 but under 18 years who do not live with a parent or legal guardian must be in a properly supervised group of students whose educational instruction is not more than 3 months; or be in the care of a residential caregiver.

Medical and Travel Insurance

International students must have appropriate and current medical and travel insurance covering their travel to New Zealand and for the duration of their enrolment at a New Zealand school.

Immigration New Zealand

International students are required to hold a valid student visa before commencing study. A valid student visa names Kelburn Normal School as your school of enrolment. If you are applying for a visa for the first time, you are required to complete the Immigration New Zealand online application yourself or nominate an agent to assist you.

For full details of student visa requirements and application process visit the Immigration New Zealand here.

Eligibility for Health Services

Most international students are not entitled to publicly funded health services while in New Zealand. If you receive medical treatment during your visit, you may be liable for the full costs of that treatment.

Full details on entitlements to publicly funded health services are available through the Ministry of Health, and can be viewed here.

Accident Insurance

The Accident Compensation Corporation provides accident insurance for all New Zealand citizens, residents, and temporary visitors to New Zealand, but you may still be liable for all other medical and related costs. Further information can be viewed on the ACC website.

Disputes Resolution Scheme

All Code signatories are required to have formal processes for handling student complaints, and to make sure these processes are accessible to students. The New Zealand Qualifications Authority handles all complaints about alleged non-compliance with the Code of Practice, other than financial and contractual disputes. Further information can be found under here.

bottom of page